Before a Flood
If your property is in danger of flooding it is essential you take precautions to avoid the risk of electrocution.
The three key precautions to keep in mind are:
- Ensure the main switch has been turned off
- Ensure appliances are unplugged and removed from power outlets
- Contact an electrician to check for damage prior to restoring the electricity.
After a Flood
- Contact a qualified electrician to check for damage prior to restoring the electricity
- Ensure any appliances are clear of any electrical faults to avoid any further loss or damage. A wet toaster or a damp hair-dryer can give an electric shock or spark a fire so make sure all electrical appliances are declared 100 percent safe before they are plugged back in. These kinds of checks should be routine during flood clean-ups
- An Accredited Master Electrician will be able to accurately assess any electrical risks in your home, including testing household appliances for electrical faults or water damage
- Take care for fallen or damaged power lines. Fallen power lines are very dangerous and can be especially hard to see at night and when hidden in trees or other flood debris
- Always assume fallen power lines are ‘live’, keep away and warn others to do the same. Report fallen power lines and trees or branches in contact with power lines to your electricity provider.
Flood Repair Fact Sheet
Master Electricians Australia has developed the following facts sheet to assist you in assessing your electrical components after a flood.
Download the Flood Repair Fact Sheet
Emergency Contact Numbers
Dial Triple Zero (000) for Police, Fire and Ambulance in an emergency.
State Emergency Service
Dial 132 500 for help with a damaged roof, rising flood water, trees fallen on buildings, or storm damage.
Non-urgent medical help
Dial 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84)
Useful Links and Information
Bureau of Meteorology
Disaster Welfare Services
Information about disaster relief grants for content and structural repairs, available to low income earners with no insurance.
1800 018 444
Master Electricians Australia
1300 889 198
Master Electricians Online Booking Service